I understand how overwhelming it can be trying to transform your lifestyle to a healthier one. You may not even know where to start. I am here to make it easy for you.
The first myth I would like to bust is that eating healthy is more expensive. This couldn’t be further from the truth. What is expensive is shopping for 2 lifestyles, one healthy and one unhealthy. When your filling your shopping cart with junk food and organic food, this can get very expensive. Just choosing one lifestyle, will not break your budget. It’s never been easier to buy all natural foods. It used to mean you had to have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s in your neighborhood (which I personally LOVE!! and shop at quite frequently). But no more. I have compiled a list of my favorite brands you can buy at virtually every grocery store across the country. These are literally the brands that fill my fridge and pantry. I have to tell you though, the healthiest and most budget friendly foods are not in an isle, and do not even have a label. Yes, I am talking about fruits, vegetables, nuts, and unprocessed meats. This should be the bulk of your weekly shopping. It can be quite tricky to read labels, but when shopping for the natural items, a PhD in label reading is not necessary! So, please enjoy my favorite grocery store pics, and feel free to share your gems as well.
Wishing you great health…..Naturally!
- Kashi: Go Lean foods are enriched with protein, which makes them glycemically balanced. I personally love their: Go Lean Oatmeal, Go Lean Crisp…which makes a great granola to throw on greek yogurt.
- Newman’s Own: Salad dressings, microwave popcorn, salsa, and many great snacks!
- Bolthouse Farm’s: salad dressings made from yogurt, pre-made protein drinks and smoothies, found in the produce section of your grocer store.
- Annie’s naturals: fruit snacks, crackers shaped like cute little bunnies, which the kiddo’s love!
- So Delicious: all natural yogurt, ice cream, milk and even coffee creamer that’s dairy free, and sweetened with agave, which is great for blood sugar. I swear, there vanilla bean ice cream is the best I’ve ever had!
- Van’s: You’ll find these frozen muffins, french toast sticks, waffles, pancakes in just about every variety, including gluten free. My freezer is literally overflowing with boxes of van’s breakfast foods for my kids.
- Rudi’s Organic Bakery: I use their burger and hot dog buns for backyard bbq’s. Their bread is also very good. These varieties are often frozen in the natural food or organic isle at your store.
- Udi’s Bakery: This is a great gluten free bakery that provides delicious muffins and sweet treats to people avoiding gluten. They also make bread. Usually these are frozen as well.
- Nature’s Pride Bread: This is not gluten free….but available everywhere. They also make bread, burger and hot dog buns which are whole grain, and free of high fructose corn syrup and other artificial ingredients.
- Wild Harvest Organics: This company makes just about everything including: juice, salad dressings, pasta, crackers, cookies, chips, pasta sauce, milk and even eggs. If you are looking to buy organic, without organic prices, look for wild harvest at most grocery stores across the country.