1) Hydrogenated and Partially Hydrogenated Oils. These are man-made fats which actually stay in the body for up to 90 days and have been linked to high cholesterol. They are commonly found in margarine, and in many pre-packaged desserts and baked good to keep them soft and shelf stable. More or less, these fats allow products to sit on the shelf for years without going bad.
2) Artificial sweeteners. These are toxic to the body, particularly to the nervous system (can trigger migraine headaches) and to the thyroid (which can lead to fatigue and difficulty losing weight). These actually keep your body from secreting leptin, a hormone that tells you that you’re full. Studies have repeatedly proven that artificial sweeteners contribute to the obesity epidemic, because they actually make you brain addicted to sweets. This includes pink, blue and yellow (Nutrasweet, Aspartame and yes, Sucralose, which is Splenda). Instead choose stevia (Truvia or Xylitol), which are all natural calorie free sweeteners, which are also high in fiber, and do not elevate blood sugar as much as pink, blue and yellow do. These are found in most “diet” products and in most “sugar free” products.
3) High Fructose Corn Syrup. Just because this was once corn, does not make it natural or healthy. Studies in Europe have linked HFCS to Hyperactivity and ADD. Recent studies published have proven a link between HFCS and Type 2 Diabetes, and Obesity.
4) Artificial Coloring. This has been linked to hyperactivity. So many brands offer fun colored food colored by fruits and vegetables, rather than artificial coloring, which is toxic to the body. Found in many juices, fruit chews, fruit bars, children’s cereals and snacks.
5) MSG. Mono-Sodium Glutamate has also been linked to migraine headaches. It is also a neurotoxin, which decreases nervous system function. Be careful of this in some lunch meats, hot dogs, bacon, sausage, and flavored boxed foods.