Many people feel like their healthy habits go out the door when they plan a vacation. The biggest mistake I see people make on vacation is go too many hours without eating and not drink enough water. It’s especially important to keep your blood sugar stable and to stay hydrated when you are on the go and traveling. Flying can dehydrate you significantly, which makes you more prone to fatigue and illness. Many people also complain that they gain weight on vacation, even though they are eating less. So here are some fast, easy and healthy tips to keep you on track, regardless of where you are.
- Bring raw nuts, and protein bars with you. This ensures you still have a quick and convenient snack, and keeps you from missing meals. These also have protein, which keep you energized, feed muscle and help starve fat.
- Drink large bottles of water. It’s easy to lose track of your water intake when you have to count glasses or 16oz bottles. Buy a 1 liter bottle and keep it with you all day. When you run out, simply re-fill. This will keep your intake high, even while traveling. Be sure to add extra water on days that you fly, as air travel is very dehydrating.
- Here are some local chains that have quick and healthy grab and go snacks and meals, so you never go too long without eating.
- Starbucks is everywhere! So when you stop in for a coffee try their egg white, spinach and feta wrap. Starbuck’s foods now contain all natural ingredients, so rather than miss a meal, eat at your favorite coffee shop. If you are popping in for a snack, try one of the Vivano smoothies, which have at least 15 grams of protein, and no added sugar.
- Panera Bread Company is one of my favorite places to eat because you can customize your food to your liking. Try their power breakfast sandwich which has plenty of protein and whole grains to keep you going for 2-4 hours.
- Dunkin Donuts even has breakfast sandwiches on whole grain flatbread made with egg whites and veggies or turkey sausage.
So you see, there’s no reason to skip a meal, or have to make bad choices when these 3 locations are everywhere around the country, even airports.
Wishing you healthy travels!